Friday, July 20, 2012

Stronger Than What Tried To Hurt Me


A great friend of mine posted this to me on Facebook and I thought it was so perfect and beautiful and inspiring that I had to post it here.  Scars are usually a "cool" thing for people to show off cause their scar(s) are usually smaller than mine and all the other burn survivors out there where our scars take up location on our whole bodies and aren't as "cool" looking as your average scar.  Most of the time, our burn scars deform us and we don't see them as "cool."  Some of us have come to accept them and some of us haven't yet, like me.  But this saying gave me a different outlook on the scars that cover my body.  It reminds me that my scars show me everyday that I was stronger than the fire that tried to hurt me.  And that is nothing to be ashamed of.  Of course, I've never been "ashamed" of my scars, only embarrassed.  But this saying works the same.  It has actually helped me to look at the scars that cover my body in a different way.  A bold statement that I'm a survivor and I was stronger than the fire that tried to hurt me.

No comments: