Sunday, August 18, 2013

My Best Friend's Baby Shower

Yesterday I had to face my people fears again as it was my best friend's baby shower.  I'd had mixed feelings about it all week - nervous yet excited.  Nervous to be around all those people but excited to see my best friend of 26 years.  As days got closer and closer, I got more and more nervous but excited, too.  My mom was also coming so I wouldn't be totally alone.  And when I got there I immediately saw Corrie and gave her a hug, touched her belly.  It was so good to see her and I calmed down a little bit.  I said hi to a couple other old friends of mine from back in the day when I lived in Baker and then mom and I found a seat at a table.  We had a little bit of food and I did my best to chat confidently with the others at our table.  The most awkward question that was asked of me twice was, "And where do you work, Sarah?"  To which I have an awkward reply of, "I'm a burn survivor and am disabled so I don't work at the moment."  Ugh...

Then Corrie began the long process of  opening presents as it was a relatively big shower and thus lots of gifts to open.  My mother and I made a little baby blanket for her and she seemed to like it very much.  I have another gift to give her but it will be given later after they have picked out a name for their baby boy.  My shoulder began to hurt towards the middle but I washed down some tylenol and made it through to the end without having to leave early.  I wanted to be there for the whole thing for my best friend.  I didn't get to see her much.  Some in the beginning and then after she had opened all the presents I got to talk to her privately for a little bit before we left.  It was so good to see her and she looked stunning with her cute baby bump.  It felt good to be able to have conquered my fears of being at that party so I could support my best friend.  She's so important to me.  I love you, Cor.

No comments: