Monday, September 27, 2010

Never Be Able to Forget

I am reading two books right now...one fiction and one self-help book. I'd like to talk about the self-help book for a minute.

Since I had a really bad day yesterday as you all well know from my last post, i pulled out a book I was waiting to read but thought, "I need to start reading this NOW after what happened today." It is called "Your Scars Are Beautiful To God." In her very first chapter, the second line, she writes about scars, "They represent a wrinkle in time in which a person's life is changed forever, and they serve as permanent reminders of an incident that, in one way or another, has made a lasting impression on one's life."

My scars do just that - represent a wrinkle in time where my life changed forever and serve as a permanent reminder of that incident. This may bother me just as much as people seeing my scars. I will never be able to forget that accident, that terrible terrible accident that almost took my life for everytime I look in the mirror or take a shower or change my clothes, there they be, reminding me of that terrible time in my life and continued terrible time of my life. My life has indeed changed forever because of that accident and to tell you the truth, I hate God for allowing it to happen to me. I haven't gotten to that point in loving God and knowing that what happened was not what HE DID TO ME but rather just a terrible accident and something God gave me to overcome because i was strong enough to handle it and overcome it and to teach others about my journey to faith and back to God.

Another very interesting piece of writing she writes is right away in her second chapter about the second coming of Christ and about how Mary and the Apostles did not recognize Jesus until he showed them his scars where he was nailed to the cross. She writes, "Jesus did not have to retain the scars of the crucifixion on His resurrected body. He could have returned without them. After all, He is the one who put new flesh on the hands and feet of lepers. But He chose to keep the scars, I believe, because they were precious to Him....that's how other's would recognize who He was." This is very interesting to me because it is true, He could have come back without his scars but he didn't. My scars are part of who I am now and I shouldn't be ashamed of them for they tell my story, my journey. But I think that's going to take awhile to come to that acceptance but it is good to be aware of that possibility and to aim for that acceptance and love. But I will NEVER forget.

No comments: