Sunday, June 17, 2012

Eating Corn on the Cob!



I ATE CORN ON THE COB!!  I mean I ate it ON the cob!!  It's been four years since I've been able to do that.  FOUR YEARS!  My mouth was for one, too small and for two, my upper lip was too tight.  But not anymore, my friends.  I can curl that lip up and behind my top teeth, take it and twist it every which way with my fingers, and eat fucking corn on the cob!!

My mother made a comment to me this afternoon that got me thinking.  She told me, "You've been a real joy to watch since this surgery."  And I thought about it and it's because this surgery was such a success.  I mean, I've had other successful surgeries but there's something different about this one.  The success of this surgery has really shown me forward progress, mind you very small forward progress but forward progress nonetheless, that has given me hope for a normal life that I thought I had lost.  And it's been really small things.  A better smile that makes me feel more like the pre-burn me and this newest one, eating corn on the cob.  I still have a long ways to go but these two little things have given me new strength, new hope, new reason to fight everyday.  It's amazing how the little things in life can give you hope for something bigger for yourself. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your joy is now my joy, my dearest friend. I am so happy for this small success in your life. Inspiring as usual SB!! Love you!!

ML said...

What a wonderful picture. With your eyes closed eating that corn on the cob there seems to be an almost peaceful serenity ..and a silent celebratory victory being had.

There will be many more victories and successes that will come your way. It's been a tough road and it will continue to be difficult at times but you have always shown up for the battle and you are winning! No doubt you are winning and now you are winning with a SMILE! How awesome!! Keep inspiring Sarah!!