Saturday, November 24, 2012

Thanksgiving 2012

Our Thanksgiving holiday was small this year.  Just me, mom and dad.  The table felt kinda empty.  But it was a nice relaxing day all in all.  We were all up early for some reason.  My eyes were wide open at five o'clock Thursday morning and so I went out to the living room where I continued on with my very complicated paint-by-numbers I got out yesterday evening.  I started this project awhile back but it's a very detailed one so it's been taking me awhile.  I thought this Thanksgiving weekend would be a good time to work at it again.  Not too much longer did my mom come out as well.  She found herself awake as I did and decided to not just lie in bed any longer.  So as I painted, she read and about thirty minutes later, my dad joined us.  Soon while my parents were taking intermittently taking care of the bird, we were all lazily watching the Macy's Day Parade on TV.  Which always makes me a little sad cause it makes me miss New York, especially the Broadway show parts.  I continued to paint and read through the morning and soon you could smell the turkey cooking in the oven.  The night before my mother had done some pre-turkey meal preparations like the homemade turkey noodles, the grape salad, and of course, the pumpkin pie.

Soon the turkey was ready for it's first baste.

(Dad basting the bird)

While stuff was going on in the kitchen off and on, I drank Sparkling Cider and acted like the paparazzi when my parents were in the kitchen cooking.  Also occasionally sneaking a couple olives off the table when my parents weren't looking.  Around 2:00 PM it was time to eat.  The bird was done.



 (Proud mom and dad of a job well done)


It was a small meal because it was just the three of us but oh so delicious, especially my mom's famous dressing.  Oh, my mouth is watering just thinking about it.  Along with a juicy turkey and delicious dressing we had homemade turkey noodles, a grape salad, sweet potatoes with the marshmallows on top, olives, cranberry sauce, asparagus, and rolls.  After stuffing ourselves and cleaning up, nap time inevitably followed...

(My dad in a turkey slumber)

After we all took a little turkey induced snooze, we read, played some games and then later had turkey sandwiches (the best!) and watched a movie.  It was a peaceful Thanksgiving Day.  



No comments: