Thursday, November 25, 2010

My Small Yet Thankful 2010 Thanksgiving

My Thanksgiving Day started out wonderfully by sleeping in and then once up, warmed up with a nice cup of hot, peppermint coffee and the watching of the Macy's Day Parade in New York, where I once lived. It definitely made me miss New York in many ways. As the day progressed Father read while I started in on the apple cider and cross stitched. Mother also began to make some peperations for the small feast we were to have (it was just the three of us this year).


(Mother beginning the makings of a great, yet small, feast)

(the official Turkey Breast cooked and ready to eat)




There are many things I'm thankful for this Thanksgiving but I'd really like to focus on a couple.


First and foremost is my mother and caretaker. She was always there for me before my accident and she has stepped up to the plate even more so since my accident and not only has been my mother, and an awesome mother at that, but my caretaker as well. She is the one that showers me, cleans me, dresses my wounds and dresses me, makes my food and most of all, loves me unconditionally, even during my worst of days. I love you momma.

I'm also thankful for the wonderful and amazing friends I have, some who were there before the accident and those that I have acquired since my accident. You all know who you are. You have loved me through thick and thin, through beauty and scars. You have truly shown me what friendship is and I'm so thankful for that for now, since my accident, I know what a real, true friend is. I love you, my friends.

And thirdly, I'm thankful for the advances my doctors have made on me. Thanks to them, I was able to reach up to the cupboard with my right arm (the one that they just recently released) and grab dinner plates. I have not been able to do that since my accident, 2.5 years ago. I am also thankful for the great advances in my neck. I once was at a mere 5cm neck extension and now because of my doctors great hands I am now up to 16cm neck extension. A normal person's neck extension is 17 cm!! So now I am able to look up to the ceiling, to the sky and left and right, around in a circle. It's amazing what has been done on that operating table under the hands of my wonderful doctor and his team. So thank you Dr. Vangelisti.

It has been a long struggle but I am here for another holiday season. It could have been a second holiday season without me here on this earth. But I am here and for what reason I am not sure yet. My life was spared and I have yet to find my purpose.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Test

Unknown said...

Sarah, Im so sorry for all your struggles, but so very gratefull to have a new found friendship with you! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!!

Unknown said...

You and I, Sarah, measure life in the same increments; life before and life "after". We both know how lucky we are to be alive, and we feel strongly that our lives started from scratch on the day "after". I think that's a good thing, because the survivor's perspective is one that's heightened. The really important things stand out for us. I consider this my third Thanksgiving. This confuses some folks, but you know what I mean. Happy Thanksgiving!