Thursday, May 19, 2011

My Best Friend's Wedding!

This last weekend, on May 13-14th, 2011, I took a huge step for me. I walked down the aisle as a Bridesmaid in my best friend's wedding. That's right, I didn't just attend a wedding, I was IN IT! And let me tell you, I won't lie, I was CRAZY NERVOUS for months! MONTHS! And even on the Wednesday before the big weekend, when I was in Portland for a doctor appointment, I started having bad panic and anxiety attacks just thinking about. So my doctor prescribed a little something for me to calm me down, which did help, but I was still nervous. Just minus the panic/anxiety attacks.

Friday, May 13th, 2011 was the rehearsal and rehearsal dinner. Kate, my best friend's sister, her husband was going to Baker City (where my best friend and I grew up together until I moved away and where the wedding was) and picked me up on the way there. I was dying that morning I was so nervous. I didn't know anyone beyond Corrie's immediate family including her twin sister Kate and her husband Keith who picked me up, and Corrie's now husband, Michael. And here I am, this Burn Survivor with all these scars and a huge tissue expander in my neck. How could I not be dying from nervousness! Everyone else was going to be normal and beautiful. And then there's me. But there was no way I was going to miss one of the biggest days of my best friend's life. I've known Corrie for 23 years! No way in hell was I going to bow out because of my own insecurities. So I bucked up and headed over to Baker City with Keith.

When I got there I thought I was going to die but it all started melting away as soon as I saw Corrie. She stayed right with me the whole day making sure I was doing OK. This was HER weekend and she was so selfless as to always be watching out for me making sure I was comfortable. But as soon as I met the other girls and bridesmaids as well as the groomsmen, I settled down a little bit. But, once again, I won't lie, I was still a little on edge not because the other people made me feel that way, but because I made myself feel that way. That night I went back to La Grande, exhausted already because I'm just not strong enough for such a full day like that. But I went to bed feeling a little more relaxed about this wedding and the people involved.

The next morning, May 14th, 2011, came quick. I was beat and I had a full day ahead of me yet. But back to Baker I went, arriving at the salon where all the girls including the bride were getting their hair and nails done. I didn't take any pictures at the rehearsal and rehearsal dinner cause I was so nervous the entire day. But I was determined to relax and enjoy myself and document my best friend's huge day! And I did. I really did. The wedding day went much better. But I think it had mostly to do with the fact that I was really only around the bridesmaids and Corrie the entire day as we got ready while the groomsmen as well as family and guests were doing their own thing getting ready. And then the big time came. It was time to walk down the aisle with my groomsman, Kevin, as well as another bridesmaid, Chris. I was a little nervous walking down that aisle but not as bad as I thought I would be. I just felt so ugly with all these scars and this huge tissue expander bulging out of my neck. I felt even uglier next to all these BEAUTIFUL bridesmaids and groomsmen. But I guess I sucked it up. I was doing this for Corrie, my best friend.

And the wedding went off without a hitch. It was beautiful and perfect, just like the bride. As soon as she walked in, I just started tearing up. I couldn't help it. Here was my best friend of 23 years getting married to an INCREDIBLE man who has also been so good to me. Michael, you are amazing and you are perfect for Corrie.

Unfortunately, my mother, who came to the wedding while my dad stayed home with the dogs, and I didn't get to stay long at the reception because I had two problems going on: 1) My right leg where they took a huge chunk out of for the flap on my neck is just not strong enough yet to have been doing all that I did that day so it was getting weak and tired and 2) I could feel my blood sugar starting to drop. So I didn't get to stay for the cutting of the cake, the speeches, or the first dance which I am still upset about. But at least I got to be there for the most important part of the day. And the second best part about the weekend? Making amazing new friends as well as reconnecting with childhood friends. Thank you to all of Corrie and Michael's friends and family for treating so kindly.

Corrie, you are my bestest friend in the whole world and I couldn't be happier for you and Michael. You are an amazing and beautiful person and friend and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for having me be a part of your wedding. I'm so happy we have remained friends all these years and I also thank you for all your love and support through this tough journey of mine. And to you, Michael, thank you for being so wonderful to me. You are the sweetest guy I have ever met in my entire life and you made me feel right at home. I am so happy for both you and Corrie. I hope that I will continue to be a part you guys' lives because I honestly couldn't bear to lose either of you now. I love you both with all my heart. You both mean the world to me.


(My best friend, the now Corrie Sergent and I at the wedding)


(An old Baker City childhood friend, Emily Davis Thomas and I at the salon)


(Corrie with the cutest flower girls, Joey Agar's twin little girls)


(Corrie and her twin sister, Kate Karch, the maid of honor or the "MOH")


(Mrs. Corrie Sergent, the most gorgeous bride I have ever seen and my best friend)

6 comments:

dcscrivy said...

Hey cool, I didn't know that you lived in Baker. That is where my hubby is from, I know Emily, though I am not sure she remembers me, my husband and I are pretty good friends with her older brother. Corrie looks familiar to me too, was she the catcher on the softball team or something? I am so glad that you had a good time, and I am glad that you were able to be strong for Corrie and support her on such a special day, you are a great friend and a blessing to everyone that knows you.

dcscrivy said...

This is Crystal Bedard, by the way, not sure if you recognize my married name!

Sarah Beth Watterson said...

Hey my Crystal darling! My pepper partner! OF COURSE I knew who you were! but yes, I lived in Baker until I moved in 5th grade. I was actually born in John Day and then we moved to Baker when I was still a baby. But that's where Cor and I met each other! We've been best friends since the first grade...and oh, she played third base in softball! I asked Corrie about your husband and she knew exactly who he was! She said she played volleyball with his little sis Cassie. Small world! Anyway, thank you for reading and for your kind words. I really miss you, Crystal, my pepper partner :) Don't be a stranger and keep in touch!

Emily Thomas said...

Hey Crystal-I totally remember you! I remember playing volleyball with you at Girl's Camp one year and I think we even touched bases at Ricks! ;)

dcscrivy said...

So funny, small world, I knew I recognized Corrie from somewhere. Good to "see" you Emily! Love ya Sarah!

Anonymous said...

Hey SB, it was so great to meet you at Corrie's wedding festivities. I had a BLAST, and it was so great to get a chance to hang out with all of Corrie's girls. You are such a special chickie, and so is Corrie, and I feel like such a lucky lady to know both of you Baker City gals. Hope to see you again sometime soon!
~Chris Weber :-)