Sunday, June 5, 2011

First Theater Experience Since The Accident

My dear friends Jamie and Sam Jacobson took me out somewhere last night, something that I haven't done since my accident, over 3 years ago. They took me to a play at EOU. The reason why I haven't gone to see a play or musical since my accident is because that is part of what my accident took from me - my future in acting. I believed that if I went to see a play or musical it would only depress me because I would be thinking about my own history in acting and again, my possible lost future in acting. I would be wishing that was me up on there on the stage, in the spotlight because that's where I LOVE to be. And not knowing if I'm going to be able to do that again, going to go see something that's just going to throw in my face that very possibility was not what I had been ready to do.

But Jamie invited me to this student directed and student written play at my alma mater. I was hesitant to reply to her because I couldn't make up my mind if I would be able to do this, or even wanted to because of all those complicated feelings I described earlier. But I didn't want to say no to Jamie so, I said yes. I must admit, around 4:00 I started to get that rising panic and anxiety that I get when it comes to going out anywhere. I was not wanting to go.

However, as soon as I saw Jamie when she came to pick me up, I began to feel better, just at the sight of my dear friend and being around her wonderful energy. She kinda does that to me :) I walked into my old home of Loso Hall with a little anxiety still and we made our way to Schwartz Theater, also an old home. We settled into our seats and I am surprised at how I felt. Perhaps it was the company because well, both Jamie and Sam were making me laugh which helped put me at ease, I think. But then as I sat there, in between laughing fits, and looked out onto the stage, my mind began filling with memories of my days in the theater and on the stage. It was almost a feeling of homesick. It was also a feeling of loss and uncertainty if I will be able to be in the spotlight again on stage or in front of a camera. But with that feeling of loss and uncertainty came anger as well because those feelings of loss and uncertainty are because of my accident.

But all in all, I was glad I finally made that step and I did enjoy myself. I think it was a very important step in my recovery. I won't lie, I did spend some of the time as I watched the play thinking of old memories and wishing I was up on the stage, wishing I knew for certain if I would have a future in acting again. What will become of me if I can't do acting? If I can't do the thing that makes my heart pump and my blood flow through my veins? That which brings my soul to life with the brightest light and most powerful energy? Why did God do this to me? Why did He take it away from me? Is He really there or perhaps He has no power? I would understand more if He has no power anymore to intervene in people's lives but if He does, why didn't He prevent what happened to me? Why didn't He protect me? He took so much from me and I don't understand why. Perhaps because there is no higher power. I don't know anymore.

Remember this. When people choose to withdraw far from a fire, the fire continues to give warmth, but they grow cold. When people choose to withdraw far from light, the light continues to be bright in itself but they are in darkness. This is also the case when people withdraw from God. ~Augustine

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This was yet another huge step for you to take, Sarah! Bravo!

Anonymous said...

Hi There
I found your blog a few weeks ago almost by accident. I am a reader of Stephanie Nielson's blog the Nie Nie Dialogues and I saw she had a tissue expander some time ago and was having her neck operated on. I googled tissue expander and Stephanie Nielson and then your blog entry about her showed up.
I spent hours reading your blog. I really admire your blog... it is so brutally honest.
When reading Stephanie's story there is so much to admire about her. Yet her situation was somewhat different because she was already married with kids and deeply religious before her accident.
As you have mentioned in your blogs.. you have said your path is unknown.
You openly share your doubts, fears and anger at all that has happened. I really wish your story was more out there in the media like Stephanie's is. I think much of what burn victims have to endure .... I mean really endure in terms of the brutal pain and everything that comes with the altered life is still sort of hidden away.
I hope you can take much comfort where you wrote in one of your entries that the doctors said that they can restore much of your pre accident self after many of these surgeries are done over the next few years. Hopefully before the 10 years that they had mentioned. I think you are looking pretty darn good at this point.

Thanks for sharing all this deeply personal stuff. You are an inspiration!

Sarah Beth Watterson said...

To Anonymous:

I was completely surprised by your wonderful comment and also humbled. I truly appreciate everything you said. I am also very glad that you found my blog and as you said, admire it for it's brutal honesty. I often wonder if I'm too honest and if I might offend some people, particularly about my brutal honesty about God. But I appreciate that you appreciate that. It's nice to hear.

Yes, being a Burn Survivor is unlike any other trauma. It's horrific, not that I'm taking away how horrific other accidents can be but the trauma of a serious burn is not really widely talked about or understood. Thank you for recognizing that.

I would really like you to make yourself known to me because you really seemed to get me and my blog. I would really like it if you became an official follower and told me your name, even if you would like to find me on Facebook (if you're on Facebook) I would like to be friends with you. You can find me under the name Sarahbeth Watterson. And put in a message (if you choose to do this) that you are the anonymous writer who commented on my blog that I am so interested in :) If you do not want to make yourself known, I completely understand. No pressure. I just was really taken aback with your comment and how you really got me.

Thank you, Anonymous. Thank you.