Thursday, June 2, 2011

Inducted into Psi Chi

I had an induction party for Psi Chi (The National Honor Society for Psychology) last night and around 4:30 I started to have doubts about going. My nervousness and anxiety started kicking in because I wasn't going to know anyone except two, maybe three professors and I feel so old now to be in school for an undergraduate degree, even though it is my second. But my mother pushed me to go and I'm glad she did, so thank you mama.

I walked in and was immediately welcomed by my old friend/professor, Chip Ettinger whom I have known since I was a little girl because I swam with his kids and if you know anything about the sport of swimming, we are a tight family. And then was welcomed by his wife whom was also one of my high school teachers for Spanish and also a swim mother, Senora Ettinger. I pretty much stood by myself for awhile as more students showed up and made me even more nervous as they all knew each other and were younger, "fresh" students. But then Senora came over to me and we just talked the hours away. Having her by my side helped.

Most people were having something to drink and eat and then finally Chip did a little announcement about what Psi Chi is exactly and what it can do for you. To get into Psi Chi you have to first be approved by the Psychology faculty and then they recommend you over to Psi Chi and then they have to approve you. So to be accepted into Psi Chi is quite the honor. Chip announced the people of this year who were approved and inducted into Psi Chi and when he said my name, he gave a little background that I actually already had done all my Psych requirements and had already graduated with another degree several years ago but I was coming back to finish my Psych degree. And then people clapped for me. I felt very honored.

When I did my capstone for Psychology, I was one of the few that year that my professor asked me to do a formal presentation during finals week for anyone who wanted to come. So I guess all that hard work in Psychology paid off and I was recognized for my outstanding work in the field of Psychology. I am now in Psi Chi, The National Honor Society for Psychology. I felt proud of myself last night for the first time in a very long time. It was a good feeling.

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."
~Eleanor Roosevelt

2 comments:

dcscrivy said...

Great job, you should be proud of yourself!

Unknown said...

How wonderful to have your work recognized! Take this good feeling, and run with it. :-)