Friday, February 24, 2012

Update on Health Issues

Things with my health are not so great.  First, there's the diabetes problem.  My doctor is concerned I may have been misdiagnosed in the hospital where I was originally diagnosed for type 2 diabetes.  Problem is, they never really tested me, they just assumed, after a blood test for my glucose levels, that I was type 2.  Turns out I may actually be type 1, which is a worse case scenario.  My brother has been living with type 1 for quite some time and is on the pump so I know what he goes through and I don't want to go through that.  Yet at the same time, if it is a misdiagnoses and it's type 1 instead, maybe they'll be able to better treat it.  My glucose levels have been crazy and uncontrollable so maybe getting put on the pump will be a good thing, no matter how much I really wish there was an easier way to treat it.  I have been doing 4 shots a day with my insulin but the doctor added an additional shot to be taken three times a day before meals so that's a total of 7 shots a day, including my long acting shot at night before bed.  Oi gevalt....next up is more blood work (yay) and a Dexcom Sensor to be put on me which is kind of like a pump but I wear it for a week so she can have access to my gluose levels 24/7 instead of the three times a day that I normally test.  In addition my A1C was pretty horrible again which is not good.  I could live with this easier if it wasn't for my burn.  The problem with having such a severe case of diabetes is it creates complications in my surgeries and particularly my healing.

Second on the list is my new diagnosis of sleep apnea.  It's a bad case for my age and I now have to be fitted for a CPAP machine to give me the proper oxygen I am supposed to have.  NOT. COOL.  I'm sure sleeping with that thing is going to be so crazy annoying but what can I do?  Nothing but wear it and suffer through yet another problem.

So my health isn't exactly good.  I'm in a bit of bad shape.  The only one of my doctor appointments that went well this week was for my foot to check on my toe, and it surprisingly looks good.  Other than that, everything else has been bad news.  Figures.  Story of my life.  Oi....

No comments: