Thursday, March 1, 2012

Anger and Pain

"Where there is anger, there is always pain underneath."  ~Eckhart Tolle

This couldn't speak more true.  Many of you may think me an angry person but I'm really not.  I never was.  But I will admit, I am angry a lot of the time but it's only been since my accident and I have all the reason in the world to be angry.  Do you honestly blame me?  Something absolutely terrible happened to me and so much was lost because of it.  I mean, fire burned away my flesh and almost killed me!  Imagine being on fire and almost dying because of the severity of it, losing your dreams and your body along with it and then tell me you wouldn't be angry.  But understand that underneath that anger, there is a great amount of pain driving it.  I have so much pain, both physically and emotionally you can't even imagine.  So please understand, if I speak out in anger, I'm  ultimately speaking out in pain.

2 comments:

Scott Denman said...

Sarahbeth I do not have to imagine being on fire and almost dying. I live through that experience, and yes I did have some anger and pain after that. However I will tell you letting the anger run my life was a worst experience. Once I decided not let that anger control my life and let it go my life got lots better. Before I was a very bitter and miserable person to be around. Even my friends did not like to be around me because I would bring them down as well. Looking back I would not have wanted to hang out with me either. So i wish you all the best in getting to a point in your life where the anger is not controlling your life, but your life is controlling the anger. May God Bless You.

Sarah Beth Watterson said...

Scott, I know you and any other burn survivor don't have to imagine being on fire. That wasn't directed at you or any other burn survivor. We know and I know that. It was more aimed at those who may look at my anger in a different light. I hope that my anger goes away, too but please remember I'm only 4 years out of my burn so I'm still fresh with it. Please understand that. It's not my aim to live the rest of my life in anger. I too hope that I get to a point where anger no longer controls my life but until then, I wanted people to understand that underneath any anger I may speak out in, is spoken out in lots of pain. Thank you for your prayers.