Thursday, December 13, 2012

The Wound Is Where The Light Enters

"The wound is the place where light enters you."  ~Rumi

 A dear friend posted this to me on my Facebook wall and I thought it was incredible.  I kind of collect quotes in my head and I had yet to come across this one.

You could take my wound figuratively or literally.  Let's take it figuratively for now.  My wound is most undoubtedly my heart.  Or perhaps even dead dreams.  I've talked about both in extreme detail on this blog.  My wound is especially deep because of the extent and life-changing seriousness of the trauma, which, in turn, causes the brightest light to enter.  The light floods in, bringing with it moments of wonder but also, most often, tears.

I dream many days that my heart will be a source of courage and wisdom someday.  That I will be able to draw upon the experiences I've had to endure and the resulting feelings and share with others the wisdom I've learned and the courage that has taken root in my wounded heart.  In the meantime, I continue to search for what is the wisdom in my experiences that hides within the extensive heartache of them as well as finding the courage to face what I know of my life now as a burn survivor.  Most often my wound, my heartache, is suffocating me with heavy melancholy and I'm desperate to find the light in my heart that can lift it.

No comments: