Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Finding My Gold

"When the Japanese mend broken objects, they aggrandize the damage by filling the cracks with gold.  They believe that when something's suffered damage and has a history it becomes more beautiful."  ~Barbara Bloom

I am a broken object.  I have suffered damage not only to my physical self but also to my soul.  I feel as though there has been an abscess on my soul that has only gotten bigger and bigger through these last five years and I don't know how to heal the damage.  The Japanese aggrandize the damage of a broken object by filling the cracks with gold to make it more beautiful.  I feel like the accident has reduced me to nothing but cracks and it's gonna take an awful lot of gold to make me more beautiful.  So what is my "gold"?  I think it's going to have to be a number of things.  Not just one "gold" piece is great enough to glorify or improve my damage.  There are many materials that will make up my gold.  Like love.  Like peace.  Like real, true friendships.  Like finding joy and happiness, acceptance and forgiveness.  These are all things that will fill the cracks of my damaged physical self and inner soul and become beautiful again.

No comments: