Tuesday, January 29, 2013

A Surprise! Birthday Party

On Saturday night I got quite a surprise.  And a most wonderful surprise at that.  I messaged my dear friend Jessie early in the week last week to see if she wanted to try and get together since we hadn't seen each other for awhile.  She said she had some time the following week (this week) but not till Saturday.  I was skeptical about doing something on Saturday because that's the day we fill my expander and I don't feel well afterwards for the whole day and often into the next couple days.  But I had not seen her in so long that I really wanted to make it.  Plus I thought I could bring my big brother along and have him meet Jessie and her husband and have some fun together.

So sometime during the day on Saturday I tell my mom of my plans of going to Jessie's and taking Jake with me.  I'm not feeling good at all from my expansion but I just gotta push through so I can see her.  Later that evening my mom suddenly says, "Well, maybe dad and I will go to Dairy Queen and get a treat while you guys are gone."  I suspect nothing.  About 6:45 rolls around and her and my dad take off, supposedly to Dairy Queen, but again, I think nothing of it.  Jake and I are expected at Jessie's at 7:00 but we're running a little late.  Finally we arrive, about 10 minutes late, and I knock on the door.

Jessie comes to answer the door and I give her a hug, say hello and walk into the living room where I see some of my dearest friends and mom and dad standing on the other side of the living room and then, "SURPRISE!"  I. Am. Definitely. Surprised.  I had no clue, no idea.  Jessie had even gotten my best friend, Corrie, who lives in Seattle, on Skype for when I walked in.  So she was even "there" in a way to surprise me.  I couldn't believe the work Jessie had done to do this for me.  There were decorations, themed in red and white to represent the colors of the White Stripes, my favorite band ever.  AND for those who lived out of town and couldn't be there, including Jack himself ;) she had made cardboard cutouts on popsicle sticks with the face of the person on the cardboard.  That was so clever.  All the food was red and white.  It was just incredible.

My dearest friends from in town were there and if they were out of town, they were there on the cardboard cutouts....or on Skype, like my best friend.  And my family - my mom, dad and brother - were there to celebrate as well.  I've never really had a surprise party before.  I kind of had one last year but this was a lot more people and a theme.  A friend who is out of town in Montana on a sabbatical even recorded a message for me!  It was so sweet.  The effort that went into this surprise party was amazing!

After I had hugged everyone and said hello, I settled in and we all started snacking on the delicious food and talking to one another.  I was so happy to see everyone there, took some fun pictures and did a lot of laughing.  Best of all was how loved everyone made me feel.  I was just showered with love and I truly appreciated it.  I really do have a wonderful family and the best, BEST friends.  It was such a fun night.  I got to have a lot of people I love dearly all in one room together with me, eat good food, have hearty laughs, be silly, open presents and listen to good music (Jack White of course).  Someone finally threw me a surprise party.  I've always been throwing parties for other people and someone finally did it for me.  Thank you to my family and thank you to my awesome friends who put in a lot of effort to do this and be there for me.  You are all just awesome and near and dear to my heart.  I love you.

Those who live out of town and couldn't be there.
Top, from left to right: Jack, Corrie - my best friend
Bottom, from left to right:  Clay, Jen, Jessa

No comments: