Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Orthopedic Appointment Results

I had my doctor appointment with the Orthopedist yesterday and I think I finally got an answer and possible solution.  After doing some x-rays, talking to me about what was wrong, going through both my MRI's and then doing some tests on my arm and shoulder he concluded that he believes what is really happening is Biceps Tendonitis.  The bursitis that showed up on the MRI is just a side effect of the biceps tendonitis.  He explained to me what this is.  Biceps tendonitis is an inflammation or irritation of the upper biceps tendon.  This tendon, which is a strong, chord-like structure, connects the upper end of the biceps muscle to the bone in the shoulder.  Symptoms of biceps tendonitis include pain in the front of the shoulder and weakness.  Both of which, I have.


(Normal Shoulder Anatomy)



(Anatomy of Biceps Tendonitis)


I asked several questions, one of which was how this could have happened and he said that during the surgery, my arm may have been placed out in a position that pulled on the biceps tendon.  Another question I asked was I knew bursitis could cause severe pain but what about this biceps tendonitis and he said, "Oh yes, it can cause quite severe pain."  So then we discussed treatment.  The biggest thing is rest.  Then there's cortisone shots which can relieve pain and help it to heal.  However, care must be taken with cortisone shots cause in some cases steroid injections, like cortisone, can further weaken the already injured tendon.  He said, often in the first 24 hours after the cortisone shot, the pain can get much worse before it gets better.  I am definitely experiencing the "worse before it gets better," cause I hurt much worse than usual.  He also said patients sometimes see immediate effects but so far I can lift my arm no higher nor move it any easier than before the cortisone shot.  But it may take a few days before you start to see results.  In some rare circumstances, surgery is required to repair the tendon and strengthen where it attaches to the shoulder socket.  With my case history of my body being difficult to heal, I have a horrible feeling I'm going to be one of those rare circumstances.  We'll see how the next few days go.  I have a follow up appointment in three weeks.  But my mind is resting easier now that I have a more likely answer to my problem, an answer that makes sense with possible solutions to fix it.  I just hope the solution will be the easier of them all with the cortisone shot and rest.  

No comments: