Sunday, February 21, 2010

Will My Singing Voice Be Saved?

Something very sacred and dear to my very being and life may have been taken from me in my accident: my singing voice.

I was a vocal performance major in College and due to the smoke inhalation damage caused my singing voice is not what it was. It's barely what it was. My diaphram is messed up too. I can't hold my breath for very long making singing and even just speaking in longer sentences a challange.

I worked so hard on my voice. You have no idea what goes into a Senior Recital in Voice in college unless you've done it. It's incredibly hard and you have to practice everyday, numerous times a day to the point where sometimes you lose your voice you've practiced so hard and so much.

I try singing along with songs that I'm listening to and the voice that comes out is one that I don't recognize. It's an untrained voice that sounds like it can't amount to anything even if it were trained. I'm worried by the sounds of my voice when I sing, what I hear, that I will never get back what I had. And I couldn't be more upset about it. I'm a piano player, though I haven't played much in years, and the fire spared my hands and I believe it was so I would play again because I was also classically trained on the piano up to Level 10 syllabus, which is the highest level of piano you can go. But why, why take away what I was truly in love with, which was singing? I honestly don't know if I can train it back and if I can't I will never be the same without it.


2 comments:

Sharae said...

Sarah- I am so sorry about your voice. I know that singing is a big part of your life. I know that with time, strenth, courage and alot of hard work....you can do it! I have faith in you :)

Amanda said...

I hope, so so much, that it comes back, Sarah.