Thursday, September 22, 2011

"Borrowed....."

I had a workshop today in the World Burn Congress that I'm attending this year, which I'll write all about when it's over and I'm home.  But I wanted to share this particular piece with you because it touched on a blog post I wrote earlier, about I'm the one who's going to have to do the most work to get out of my deep dark depression, but I also need help, a hand to grab onto mine firmly and not let go.  This is a poem kind of about that, written by Eloise Cole.

Borrowed Hope

Lend me your hope for awhile, I seem to have mislaid mine.

Lost and hopeless feelings accompany me daily.
Pain and confusion are my companions.
I know not where to turn.
Looking ahead to future times
Does not bring forth images of renewed hope.
I see mirthless times, pain filled days
and more tragedy.

Hold my hand and hug me.
Listen to all my ramblings.
I need to unleash the pain and let it tumble out.
Recovery seems so far distant.
The road to healing a long and lonely one.
Stand by me.  Offer your presence.
Your ears and your love.
Acknowledge my pain, it is so real and ever present.
I am overwhelmed with sad and conflicting thoughts.

Lend me your hope for awhile.  A time will come
When I will heal, and I will lend my renewed hope to others.



I think that's such a beautiful poem and a very interesting idea, to "borrow hope" from someone whether it's a loved one or a friend.  Sometimes we just don't have it and we need that help, that firm hand grip that I talked about earlier and so thus we "borrow" it from you, whatever "it" may be.  "It" could be something other than hope.  It could be strength or courage.  I think I borrow a lot of different characteristics from my friends.  From Jen and Clay I often borrow faith.  From my best friend Corrie and her husband Michael I look to them to borrow that hope.  From my dear friend Jessa, I borrow courage.  From my other dear friends Jamie and her husband Sam, I borrow smiles and laughter and from Steph, I borrow strength.  And from Mikey aka Madd Skillz, I borrow belief in a future.  My family is a whole different grab bag of borrowed attributes but these are just a few examples from a the handful of real dear friends that I have of what I borrow from them and I am so grateful that they let me borrow those attributes that they themselves present so strongly in their own characters.  There are other friends and other things that I borrow but those are my main ones right now.  And I thank you all, not just those I mentioned but all of you who may not even know that I borrow something from you.  You all give something of yourself to me and I borrow it right now to help get me through this rough time and through this journey.  Thank you everyone.  You have truly blessed me.

5 comments:

stephshufelt said...

That poem made me cry it's so beautiful. I especially love the last verse because it's so true that the time will come when you're healed. You're an amazing friend SB so you just feel free to "borrow" whatever you need. I feel lucky just to be part of your life and that you let me be there for you. I've certainly borrowed strength from you and a good healthy share of grace. I think I got the better part of the deal. <3

Patrick said...

I've said it for years:
Problems only have one handle. If you don't put them down, no one can carry them for you. Not even God.

Unknown said...

I love what Patrick said about problems only having "one handle"! GREAT poem. You can borrow my faith! I sure borrowed plenty of faith from others when I was sick.

Sarah Beth Watterson said...

Yes, Patrick, that is so true. And thank you April! I shall borrow your faith as well cause I need A LOT OF IT!! :)

MSK said...

What a wonderful entry! The poem was very touching and meaningful in so many ways!
I also second everything that Stephanie said! We have borrowed so much from you as well!! And you have BLESSED US!! in many many ways! I believe in your future being a bright one. You have too much depth, talent and character and fight in you for the future not to shine brightly! Keep fighting and borrowing hope and inspiring along the way!