Sunday, September 11, 2011

A Little Time To Let My Soul Breathe

"In answer to the question of why it happened, I offer the modest proposal that our Universe is simply one of those things which happen from time to time."  ~Edward P. Tyron

I got out of the house for a short weekend trip up to stay in a cabin up at Emigrant Springs campground.  And it was much too short.  I needed to be out there much longer.  My soul needed to be out there in the fresh air, connected to mother Earth, the Universe.  My soul needed to be out there to just be able to BREATHE!  Lately, I have been under abnormal stress and emotions and health issues so it just felt good to get away from everything, including (somewhat) being "plugged in" all the time.  Yes, I know, I was plugged in for quite awhile on Saturday but that was only because of the US Open tennis matches!!  There were two HUGE matches that day and I had to watch both of them.  And it took almost all day.  But have no fear, when my phone didn't need to charge from the battery being drained dry from using the internet so heavily, I was outside with the slight breeze in my face and hair and the sun shining gently on my skin.

It was just really a great weekend, or couple of nights I guess cause we went down Friday afternoon and had to come back this morning (Sunday).  I really needed to stay there longer but I'll take what I can get right now I suppose.  We all got along, which was nice.  We got there Friday afternoon and unloaded into our cute li'l cozy cabin and then just relaxed for awhile.

(Our cabin - C1)

 (Front porch of our cabin)

(The single room inside the cabin - double bed on right, twin/double bunk on left)

(The little coffee table that sat to the right when you walked in. The whole cabin was 
open to the outdoors with four windows)

(On one side of the porch we had a stove/oven and a little pantry)

(The picnic table area over to the left of the cabin with fire pit and BBQ)

Saturday, we kinda slept in, got up around 7:00 - 7:30am and made a fire.  This is my favorite time of camping with the fire warming you up as you sat in a chair drinking coffee and possibly reading or just looking at the peacefulness around you.  Then of course, my tennis started and I was trying to watch it live on the US Open website but it would never load so I just listened to it on the US Open website radio which worked fine, but not the same as watching it.  But I was able to listen while we played a couple games and just enjoyed ourselves.

(Playing the great game, Ticket To Ride)

(I won, he he...)

It was around this time that I had a late idea: why not look for a tennis app that would allow me to stream the games live! Yes!  And there was a US Open site that got me right to streaming the game live, just in time for Nadal vs. Murray.  All right!  Why didn't I think of this before?!  And it was around this time that my parents started to get tired from the heat and just that tiredness from camping.

(Yup, that's my Spanish luvah Nadal, and he totally kicked ass and won)

(Mama and Pops laying somewhat awkwardly, taking a nap mid-day while I watch tennis)

Later that evening, after my tennis was over, we just continued to be.  Relaxing, each of us doing something different from my dad and mom reading to me switching back and forth between reading as well as cross stitching and then sometimes drifting off into my thoughts while being embraced by the love I felt from the Earth and the Universe.  There was a lot of time this weekend that I had to think and I did a lot of it.  I'm not necessarily any better off, I'm still in a dark place due to a lot of reasons, but at the time, I felt better, more free, like my very soul was fantasizing about the idea of sprouting wings again one day and flying away to be the gypsy that I am. 

"May my soul bloom in love for all existence."  ~Rudolf Steiner

But I was sitting outside Monday morning, warming by the fire and drinking coffee and thinking, I'm kind of an odd mix of a girl.  I grew up with nature - hiking, camping, rock climbing, running trails, biking, etc. - but I'm also quite a city girl.  I mean, when I moved to New York City, it was a shock yes, but more of a culture shock than lots of buildings and cement and lots of people walking really fast everywhere kind of shock.  I got used to New York, the way people were, the layout of the city, the subway system, how to avoid street vendors so as not to get caught in their web, how to bargain with those same street vendors and most importantly, how to keep myself protected.  Somehow, never growing up in a city larger than La Grande (12,000 population), I wasn't naive about anything.  But then, sitting there in front of the fire, everything comes naturally to me out here in the forest, too.  So I never know what to call myself, a country or city girl.  I'm just both I guess.  If I had it my way, I would of course be married to Jack ;) and have my acting career and we'd have our two homes in Nashville, one of which is on a big piece of land which is Jack's main home and then he has a farm house in Franklin, Tennessee but then I'd have to have my ritzy apt. somewhere in Greenwich Village (aka west village) in New York City, too :)  What a life to dream for, right?  Maybe someday, someday if I make it that far....

"Never made agreements...And I won't back down cause life's already bit me."


"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known."  ~Dr. Carl Sagan

3 comments:

Unknown said...

LOVE all the pictures! Thanks for sharing a good moment. You ARE going to make it. Just keep in touch with nature and the One who made it all.

dcscrivy said...

I am so glad you had a good time camping. Being outside always rejuvenates me. I love that I was able to grow up as a small town country girl feel too, although I really like the conveniences of a bigger city. I also dream of my two homes, the city one and my cabin by a remote lake where there are no other people!

Emily Thomas said...

The picture of your parents on the bed makes me smile!