Thursday, March 7, 2013

Healing Well But Still Recovering

Healing is going well from this last surgery.  I still have some pain and when I try to do stuff that I think I'm ready to do, then I really have pain.  I'm just not completely ready to do certain things yet.  Still recovering.  I have trouble lifting my right arm to even level height of my shoulder.  I just don't have the strength back yet from having surgery there.  So dressing and taking showers and even cutting my food has gotten harder since.  I thought this surgery would be a lot easier than most of the others but the recovery is proving to be almost as difficult.  I still have four stitches in the front corner that will come out when I go to my post-op follow up appointment in Portland next week.  They did dermaglue on the rest of it.  I have also started wearing my soft collar during the morning hours and take it off at lunch (which is a total of about 6 hours a day) right now.  I tried wearing it for the first time at night and through my sleep but when I woke up the next morning my neck hurt SO bad.  I mean, so bad that I could barely move my head in any direction.  I think I strained it wearing it too soon and for too long.  So we have cut back to just wearing it when I wake up and until lunch until I'm more healed and recovered.  Then I will try wearing the watusi collar, which is absolute hell.  There is no give in it and it can be pretty painful and horrible.  But this flap went so well and looks pretty good that I want it to work.  Well, I always want my surgeries to work but this is my 5th release and 6th surgery concentrated to the right side of my neck in a matter of 8 months and I don't want to try a 7th.

So, I'm still doing a lot of resting in this recovery of surgery #38 but all is looking good so far.  We'll see what the doc says next week.





4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, my OT is having me measured for a Watusi next week. My burn injury occurred in oct and I've yet to have any reconstructive surgeries or release of contractures. I wish you the best.... That this graft takes and that you regain ROM.
Thank you for this blog... Sharing you're experiences for the rest of us.
Many blessings, Lea

Sarah Beth Watterson said...

Dear Lea,
First of all I am deeply sorry that this accident happened to you. As all doctors have told me, it is one, if not the worst, kind of injury to incur. Having said that, I know it sounds grim, but keep getting up in the morning and putting one foot in front of the other, tell yourself you're important in this world. Come talk to me if you need help either on here or by email, I am open to you. Watusi rings are not fun. I've had to use them many times before but use them! They will help if you are faithful to them. Things will get better. I promise. I'll be honest, it will take time, but they will get better. Best of luck to you working with your OT's and any upcoming reconstruction you may have done. May your body heal like it's supposed to and may they be successful. Blessings to you.

A Daft Scots Lass said...

Not only are you a fellow Jack White worshiper, you are such an inspiration. I'm your newest follower.

Sarah Beth Watterson said...

Dear A Daft Scots Lass,

Welcome! It's so wonderful to have you as a follower! Thank you for the kind comment. And thank you for the kind comments on Pinterest as well :) It's exciting to have you following my blog. I hope you continue to read and follow and comment as you please. Thank you again! I think you're great.