Sunday, January 17, 2010

New Measurements!

Everytime I go to see my reconstructive doctor I always have to follow up with seeing my occupational therapists over at the Burn Center/Wound Clinic. Well I certainly got great news this last time I went. But let me start from the beginning.

When I was first injured these were my measurements:

Neck extension (raising head to ceiling) was a mere 5 cm. i basically couldn't raise my head at all. I was stuck looking at the ground. Turning to the left and right was both 30 degrees, which once again, is nothing. I basically had to turn my whole body to look left or right.

After my first neck surgery when we did measurements after I got my halo off my measurements were so amazing everyone wanted to cry and/or jump up and scream, which some of them did the latter. My neck extension had gone from 5 cm to 14 cm! my rotation to the left and right were both doubled to 60 degrees! It was amazing. I felt so good. I had not been able to move like that for nearly 18 months.

When I was at another doctor appt and went to my follow up occupational appointment they measured again and there was no bad news. I hadn't lost any ground. but I hadn't gained any. I was exactly the same. So in a way that was good but I could already feel my neck contracting again. It was a struggle to meet those same measurements. This worried me.

Now, after this second neck surgery, my measurements were even better! My neck extension was 15 cm!! My rotation to the left increased 10 degrees to make 70 degrees and my right rotation was 65 degrees! I gained another cm in my extension! Now that probably doesn't seem like a whole lot to you but just imagine this. Tuck your chin to your chest a bit and take a ruler and measure 5 cm when you extend. Then extend your neck to 15 cm and notice the immense difference. I don't look at the floor anymore! I can look straight ahead without pulling up and I can see the sky. I can look left and right without having to move my whole body! And get this too - normal range of neck extension is 17 cm and I'm at 15! I'm not too far off!

I have made incredible gains in my neck and I just am so ecstatic about it! so with this second neck surgery i gained even more mobility! I am so lucky to have the doctors that I do cause they continue to perform miracles on me. 15 cm! 70 and 65 degrees!!! WOOT WOOT!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What WONDERFUL news, Sarah! We should ALL look around us for the positive things in our lives, and focus on those instead of the negative. We would experience more joy in our lives if we did, just like you have in your recovery. Thanks for the reminder, Sarah!

Sharae said...

I am so happy for your progress! What an amazing road you have traveled thus far. Every day is a mile closer to your recovery. Having that much movement is so great for you! I love you and I am so, so very happy for that great news! Lets keep the great news coming!!!