Friday, January 8, 2010

Complications during Surgery

On December 28th, 2009 I was going to have 3 surgeries done as you can read in one of my posts entitled "Surgeries #17, 18, 19". Well complications during surgery changed those plans.

For some reason, despite my latest neck surgery they still had problems intebating me. So they went to go and cut my neck thinking they would just have to graft a strip of skin back on but when they cut my neck, it just fell open forcing them to perform an emergency surgery on my neck and have to completely redo everything they had done on my neck in the fall. This was devastating to everyone, including my doctors but most all, me. So this 2 hour surgery turned into a 7 hour surgery.

So you're probably all wondering if I had to have the halo on again after having my neck redone. No. And the reason is is because they did a full thickness graft this time. Last time they did a split-thickness graft. Now in a split thickness graft they take just the top layer of skin and graft that. But in this option there is more likely a chance for the graft to take but more of a chance to contract again, therefore putting me a in a halo helped to prevent those contractures from developing. In a full thickness graft, they take the full layer of skin, all the layers of skin, and graft that. Now in this option, there is great risk of the graft not taking because it is much thicker and harder for the blood to get through to the top layer and carry the oxygen up there.

Well, being the problem child that I am, the graft was not taking. So my reconstructive surgeon had a wild idea for a radical treatment called Hyperbaric Chamber Treatments. Hyperbaric Chamber treatments are where you lay on a gurney and are placed inside this very small tube. They then "dive" you down and high levels of oxygen are pumped inside. Now they say "dive" because it is like diving down to the bottom of the ocean with that extreme pressure so that you then must "ascend" to the top at a slow speed so as not to get "the bends." This is the same in the hyberic chamber. After diving, and high levels of oxygen is pumped into the chamber to stimulate the skin, they must then "ascend" you back to the surface slowly or you will actually get the bends even though you are not actually in the ocean.

I went through 9 treatments and it truly helped! The doctor came in and was very happy and impressed because it seemed that the treatments worked and oxygen got to the surface of the graft and that it was going to be fine. phew! We were all very worried there for awhile. However, there was a small area around my mouth that did not take but he said that's ok. That he can fix that much easier than a whole graft not taking.

But another great thing is I finally got my mouth done! Those of you who have seen me will be very impressed with how my mouth looks now. I'm so excited about that. So everything that happened was my mouth, neck (which was not planned) and tissue expanders put in my back. I was scheduled to have a release on one of my shoulders but after the neck issue, my other doctor who was going to perform that surgery did not go ahead with it after the complication arose.

So my one or two night stay in the hospital turned into nearly 2 weeks. But now here I am, a day after I finally came home and I'm ok. Just going through recovery....again. And more pain only this time I have a lot of pain because of where they took the full thickness graft...my bum! So it hurts so bad to sit down. In fact I can't sit down. I have to kinda position myself in a half laying down/half sitting position. But even then I'm in a lot of pain. Full thickness grafts hurt terribly. We could not get my pain under control while in the hospital because I hurt so bad so I was once again put on a Diuladid PCA for the entire time I was there along with morphine and oxycodone pills. So here I am, at home and back on pain killers again.

But once again, I went through some very rough surgeries but this time there was serious complications and an emergency and unplanned surgery which was very scary for everyone.

6 comments:

Laura Mo said...

I'm so glad you are finally home.

Paul Hett said...

I am happy to read that you are home now and that you were able to still get a couple of the procedures done that you were looking forward to :)

Scott Miller said...

I am so glad you are home, sorry for the pain you are having to suffer, I am glad the Hyperbaric chamber treatment worked.

Sharae said...

I am so sorry about all of the complications. I just wish and hope that the recovery is quick. You have been through so much and I know that you will be so blessed after all this is done. Keep smiling and know that I love you! I can't wait to come see you!!!!

Amanda Lightfoot said...

It's amazing what you've been going through with these surgeries, Sarah! I'm so glad the emergency surgery worked out and the graft took. Sorry your tush hurts. :( I had just one graft once, and it was horrible. But it's wonderful to hear that your mouth is near done! Hang in there with the meds. That part will work itself out in time if you can keep a handle on it for now.

Unknown said...

Your story reveals how unpredictable life is! That's why I try to live one day at a time, and not base my happiness on some event in the future. All we have is now. You've learned this very well. Just when your physical pain became manageable you suddenly found yourself back at first base. You can do this, Sarah! You've done it before. I'm praying for you. And don't worry about the drugs right now. You have more important "fish to fry" at this time.