Thursday, January 21, 2010

MIssing New York City


People ask me what I liked so much about New York and a million things came to my head. But if i had to nail it down to just one thing, it's the energy. And I don't know how to describe it to make more sense for you. And I know it sounds cheesy and corny but you will only truly understand and feel what i'm talking about until you go there and when you do, you won't be able to NOT feel the energy of the city.

I miss New York City. I miss, of course, the energy. I miss the lights, the beautiful buildings, the streets of Broadway shows and going to go see the shows themselves. I miss the West Village so much. The West Village was my dream place to live in the city. I spent most of my time there. I wo
rked in midtown but pretty much every day after work, i was headed down to the village to meet friends for a drink in the cutest little bars and pubs or to go shopping in the local businesses where I would buy the cutest pair of heels or boots or jewelry in a shop that is so small and so packed you don't know where to start and you're never ready to buy cause you're not sure you've seen everything!

When I lived in New York I did a lot of stuff. I probably saw more than 20 Broadway shows, a Yankee game, several Mets games, had picnics in central park, went ice skating in both central park and Bryant Park; I saw movies on a big drive-in screen sitting in Bryant Park in the summer evenings; I spent the Fourth of July in Coney Island one year and watched the amazing fireworks on the beach; went row-boating in the lakes of Central Park; the sea of yellow taxis filling the streets. I miss how the chinese people who ran the laundry business right across from my first apartment knew me when I came in to drop off my laundry. I miss the little mom and pop shop where I used to grab a coffee on my way to work and how they would truly be concerned when I came in to buy medicine cause I was sick. I miss sitting on top of the roof of my second apartment and looking at the skyline of Manhattan, thinking, "I can't believe I finally made it here."

I met new people and made new friends everyday. The variety of people was wonderful and the people were actually wonderful too. So many people have the wrong idea about New Yorkers. That we're mean and rude. Well we may not look at you or smile at you when we are walking by because we're constantly protecting ourselves. But if you stopped to ask a New Yorker directions, they are the nicest people making sure you know exactly where you're going.

There are so many more things I miss but this would be a novel of a blog if I went on about everything. I hope someday I can get to go back there but right now that is not in the cards because of my injury. Even when I am well enough to be on my own again, I have to stay in Oregon for my insurance. And I just may not be done with surgeries and pain-free for a long time so I will need this amazing insurance I was able to get. So it is Oregon for me for awhile and I will continue to think and dream about New York, missing it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What a clear glimpse of your city, New York. My husband grew up just an hour from Manhattan. His sister still lives there, and we enjoy visiting because it means we get to head over to the big city of N.Y. for theater on Broadway and great ethnic resturants.

You did a good job of helping readers "see" this vibrant city. It really does have to be experienced to understand the energy, colors, sounds and smells of New York. How wonderful to have so many happy memories of your time there. It can happen again, Sarah!

Sharae said...

After reading that about New York, you can't help but have the urge to book the next flight out and go see and do all that you got to do. There are so many of us (me included) that could only dream of experiencing what you have in New York. My whole life I dreamed of going and doing Ballet for the biggest Ballet company there is and dancing on stages for millions of people. Keep that dream alive Sarah, and one day you will get to be back there!