Tuesday, May 18, 2010

First Pictures of Any Part of Me Published

Today I posted a couple pics of my neck on my FB page. I was looking at them on my phone and decided to just be brave and post them so people can see a little bit of what I'm talking about when I speak of my surgeries or my scars. I was so nervous but I hit "upload" before I could change my mind and I almost immediately starting getting responses to the pictures; good positive responses about how brave I was to post them and how beautiful of a person I still was. All these positive responses just made me want to break down. I didn't think I'd get the kind of responses I've been getting. I was really really nervous and thought for a quick minute before I began to get flooded with responses that I made the wrong decision and was going to delete the pics.

While I was on FB, a friend of mine started up a chat with me and began to praise me for what I did with those pictures and a couple things that she said struck me and sort of helped change my perspective on my scars. She said, "they are a map darling, they are a map of your life, your pain and your triumph, fuck anyone that tries to make you feel shame....including you." I thought, wow, how wise and what a wonderful way to be able to look at my body in the mirror and see a map of my life, of my pain and my triumph instead of a bunch of nasty scars. I don't know how soon I'll be able to do that. But I'm going to try everyday because as she added in the end, "..including you," I should not make myself feel ashamed either.


So now I'm going to show you followers. Here goes:
































4 comments:

David Deming said...

As I stated on your FB page, this is a huge step for you. I had no doubt you would get tons of encouraging words from the people who love and care about you. The Sarah we know has a wonderful personality which makes you who you are.

Kyle McAndie said...

Sarah you are truly brave and made a hard decision to post your pictures I have a lot of respect for you and am proud to call you my friend. Thank you for being a wonderful person. My thoughts and prayers are with you!

Amanda said...

Sarah, thank you so much for taking this step. You are so brave.

Seeing these pictures really helps me understand the physical and emotional pain you are enduring right now. Your descriptions of your surgeries have been so vivid, but "a picture is worth a thousand words" rings true here.

I love what your friend said about your scars being a map, and she's so right about all of it. Please never be ashamed of yourself, and never let anyone bring you down.

You're beautiful, Sarah. Inside and outside and as a whole wonderful bundle.

samantha mc ardle said...

Wow this is the first time I feel the urge to comment u truly r the most amazing woman !!!!! The scars are a map but tru it all ur heart is wat makes me want to keep readin about ur journey and how far u have come and wat a fantastic heart it truly is u r one special girl xxxxx