Wednesday, May 26, 2010

I am a burn survivor, not a burn victim

I am a burn survivor, not burn victim. That is the correct way to describe someone who has been burned. I used to call myself a burn victim until I learned from other people who were burned that the correct way to call a person who has been burned is a burn SURVIVOR. So I am no longer a victim of the fire or of my burn, I am a survivor. And I like that better. Makes me feel more powerful to be a survivor rather than a victim.

As a burn SURVIVOR, it implies that I survived something, which I did. I survived one of the worst injuries that can happen to someone. In fact, I didn't just survive it, I am surviving it everyday. Everyday is a hurdle to get over, whether it's emotional pain, physical pain, anxiety, etc. So everyday I am surviving those things. I am no longer a victim. A victim implies helplessness over their situation. I am not helpless against my situation, even though sometimes I feel like I am. but I am not. Deep down inside of me I have the strength to get through everyday if I just apply that strength. But that is still hard for me to do. I am 2 years out of my accident and I'm still having a hard time finding the strength to get through each day, even though I am surviving this injury everyday. Does that make sense? I find it hard to have the strength but somehow, i survive each day of this injury, despite if I may have had the strength to get through the day or not because I am a survivor, not a victim.

According to a doctor on a TV show once, he said that a burn is one of the worst injuries to ever happen to someone. My life changed in a split second when I caught on fire and incurred one of the worst injuries to ever happen. My life has never been the same and never will be. I don't know if I'll ever be able to do a cartwheel on the spring grass again or reach things in a cupboard. I have had 21 surgeries so far and am still on the long road to recovery so I am looking forward to many more surgeries of reconstruction yet. The doctor has basically told me that I will most likely be a lifelong patient because of how badly I was burned. But does this news make me a victim? No, it makes me a SURVIVOR because I still make it through every surgery, every doctor appointment, and simply, everyday. What kills me the worst though and makes me feel like a victim sometimes is when I have to be assisted in the shower, assisted in getting dressed and getting a glass out of the cupboard. So it is hard for me during those times to see myself as a survivor but I must constantly remind myself that despite the fact that I have to be assisted in these things, I survived that fire and I survive the day because I go to bed every night to wake up in the morning to a new day. But it's another day I have to survive so I cry a lot wishing I didn't have to "survive" the day in the way that I do.

This accident took my life from me. When I think of it like that, in my times of weakness, I feel like a victim. But it's true, the accident took my life from me. I just have to find and learn a new life now because I survived and I am a survivor. Some days I wonder if I'll get through it, but I do somehow because I am a burn survivor. That is part of my identity now. I wish it never was, but it is and I must face it with all the inner strength I have and look at my situation in the eye and say, "I will survive you because I am a survivor, not a victim, and I will not let you make me a victim."

4 comments:

Amanda said...

Rock ON, Sarah. I can FEEL your strength growing as you embrace "survivor" as a new part of your identity.

Unknown said...

Isn't it AMAZING how much difference a word can make in our entire attitude about something!?! I learned a long time ago to not refer to myself as a "victim" of incest. Rather, I call myself an incest "survivor", and I feel much stronger with that label.

And currently I'm learning that I am so much more the a survivor of incest. I do not want to be defined by that one historical fact. I'm a follower of God, I'm a worthy woman, I'm a writer, I'm a friend . . . These are all definitions of who I am also, and those things are so much bigger then surviving incest.

Make a list of the other words which define you, Sarah. It expands your identity to be so much more then the survivor of a fire injury. There is something empowering about that exercise.

I'll start your list. You are a blogger with a BIG story to tell. :-) Suggestion: EOU offers many classes "on line" including writing, playwriting, etc. Perhaps a boredom breaker could be an on-line class where you could get some feedback. Just a thought.

Love YOU!

mcdaniel said...

You are beautiful, strong, and very courageous. I am married to the worst living burn survivor. My husband, my daughter, and myself lost our lives on 3-3-06. God does have a perfect plan and we are adjusting beautifully to the new life that God has given us. We still suffer much daily but it is the way we react to our suffering that counts the most.

Lisa researching burn help said...

I love your spirit! Keep your head up. I consider you even more beautiful for having gone through the fire and coming back out the other side, refusing to be a victim, but instead, being an inspiration.