Saturday, May 19, 2012

Insulin Pump Set Up

Well, yesterday in the late afternoon I got set up on my insulin pump finally.  Good grief, it took a little over two hours to get it done.  But I now have a little buddy attached to me 24/7.  It's going to take some getting used to.  I did have a problem right off the bat so that got me flustered.  When I tried to do a bolus at dinner, it beeped in alarm at me and said it could not deliver my insulin.  So I couldn't get that figured out.  Didn't know if I was doing something wrong.  So I called up my big brother Jake who has been on a pump himself for a couple years now and we got it figured out.  Turns out I was missing a crucial step when inserting the infusion set into my skin and it caused the little plastic piece that sticks in my skin where the insulin comes out and releases into my body to kink so the pump detected that and didn't want to deliver the insulin as a result.  So I had to get out another infusion set, hook it up and this time got it inserted into my skin properly so that it wouldn't kink again and the insulin has had no problems in delivering the insulin since.  So, besides a hitch in the first few hours and some help from my brother, it's been doing fine.  It's been weird not giving myself a shot though.  Just a press of a couple buttons and insulin is delivered!  Kinda nice.  Actually really nice.  Just gonna have to get used to this thing being attached to me all day, all night, for the rest of my life.



No comments: