Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Insulin Pump Has Arrived

My Insulin Pump finally arrived yesterday after a little bit of an ordeal to get it here.  First I had to jump through all the necessary insurance hoops but since I had been diagnosed as a Type 1 Diabetic, they made the hoops easier to jump through.  After a few phone calls to get me set up with the pump from Medtronic and CCS, they said the whole process would take about two weeks.  Well three weeks later I still hadn't received a phone call to let me know they had shipped the pump (they said they would call to let me know because I had to be home to sign for it) so I decided to call CCS and ask two things: 1) either they had shipped it and forgot to call me or 2) it hadn't been shipped yet and something was holding it up.  Turns out something was holding it up and that something was my doctor.  CCS told me they were all ready on their end, they were just waiting for my doctor to get them the proper paperwork/bloodwork in.  They told me that sometimes hearing from the patient gets them moving a little better so as soon as I hung up with CCS I immediately phoned my doctor and told them CCS was all ready, just waiting on paperwork from them.  That very afternoon I received a phone call from CCS in which they told me I must have called the doctor because not too long ago they received the paperwork and bloodwork and would be shipping out the pump.  I guess I put a bee in their bonnet and good thing too cause who knows how much longer it would have taken.

So, yesterday UPS came with my pump and I felt relieved that everything had come in to place from getting insurance to approve it and pay for it to the doctors getting the paperwork in and CCS shipping it out and it was finally in my hands.  And my goodness, a lot of stuff came with it.  First there's the pump itself along with it's own accessories like the belt clip and tubing clips.  Then there's the infusion sets, alcohol wipes, the reservoirs (the insulin that goes in the pump), a new meter that links up with the pump and a million test strips as well as about four different instructional/guide books to the pump.

Now on to the next step, which is getting hooked up with the pump educator in my region and meet with her at my doctor's to get fixed up with my pump and learn how to use it.  I gave her a ring yesterday but she's out of town until next Monday so I won't get hooked up until next week.  But at least the first two steps are done.  Two down, one to go.


1 comment:

alisa c said...

hey sweet pea / I posted your blog on 'burn victim survivors' encouraging labanya (sp?haha) 2 go ahead and be as dark as she wants 2 be / I think it's healthy xox~kisses