Thursday, December 24, 2009

Being in a Coma

I was life-flighted out to Legacy Emanuel hospital in Portland Oregon when I was injured. First of all, it was a miracle I made it that far because the paramedics could not get a tube down my throat to keep me breathing so after several attempts, they had to fall back to manually air-bagging me. And they had to do this the entire way to Portland, which is nearly impossible.

After my emergency surgeries to remove the burn and graft on cadaver skin I was in a coma and I stayed in a coma for about a month. And I have myself many times, do I believe in a heaven? Because I don't remember a single thing. The brain is so amazingly powerful that I almost left my body so that I wouldn't feel the pain of burning fire on skin. And still to this day, my brain has protected me from remembering the accident. But what happened after I slipped into a coma? Did I see or even hear a higher power. Did I see other souls? Did I see angels? What happened during that month?

One of my best friends' mother has an interesting take on what happens to someone in the kind of situation I was in, where I could die. She believes that there is some kind of heaven, whether you want to call it a heaven or not. But she believes that there are other souls up there who have been important influences in our life we see. And what happens when we see them is there is a discussion about whether it is my time to stay with them and with the higher power, or if it is not time and I must go back. The reason I would stay is if I and/or the souls and higher power were satisfied with what I had done on Earth. The reason I would go back is if there was still something for me to do, people for me to influence, lessons yet to be learned. And she believes that those souls spoke to me, showed me my life and my future life and that there was a reason for my life on Earth and I had not achieved it yet so I must go back. And so I did. A month later I awoke.

Another question I have is do people in comas hear you when you talk to them. Do they feel you when you hold your hand. Many nurses and doctors say they can so it helps a lot to talk to them as if they were awake. And the nurses always talked to me like I could hear them. Well let me tell you, I didn't hear a thing, I didn't feel a thing and I didn't see anything. My mother, however tells me, that she was talking to me and holding my hand one day and I squeezed it, and I really squeezed it. There was no doubt that it was a muscular jerk. So did I really hear and feel her and my mind has blocked all senses from me. I wish I remember hearing or feeling her, or my father when he stood at my bedside and recited prayers. But I heard nothing. I felt nothing. I saw nothing. No dreams. No souls. No Heaven. No God.

So what happens to someone in a coma? Do they really experience souls and heaven and God but are not allowed to remember it? I know people who have had near death life experiences where they say they "saw the light" or "floated above their body". Well, I may not have had a near death life experience like that where my heart actually stopped but I was dying on my way to Portland and I didn't see or hear anything.

And that makes me sad. I would truly feel better about surviving the accident if I had some kind of experience with any of those things because it would make sense for my living. I had all the odds against me that night, especially on the life-flight to Portland where they had to manually air-bag me. And yet I lived. Why? Did I meet those souls and they sent me back because I wasn't ready, as my friends' mother believes? Or is there nothing? It is a very lonely feeling to believe that there is nothing so I want to believe so much in her idea. That I met souls and perhaps even a higher power that night on my way to the hospital, and perhaps my grandmother was one of them (whom I was extremely close to and who died on my birthday). I must try to believe in the latter or my surviving will make no sense. I should not have lived. The doctors have expressed many times they don't know how I lived. They all say I should have died that night with how badly I was injured and the remote area I was living in and that they had to manually get me to breath the entire way there. But I survived and there must be something yet for me to learn or better yet, something yet for me to do and I would like to hope that that something left to do is be a performer, to entertain. Because that has been my dream since I was a little girl and I have felt it was my destiny. So if I had a "conversation" or what have you with any souls/angels/higher power up there and they returned me, I want to believe that was one of the reasons because I lost hope that I would ever achieve my dreams when I awoke and later understood what happened to me and how badly. But why, why can't I remember anything? It is one of the things that drives me the most crazy about my accident.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

WOW! Sometimes it's like you are speaking for me, Sarah. Ever since I awoke from my accidental overdose over a year ago, the one thing that has bothered me the most is having no memory of four "lost" days. The only memory during those days was a clear, firm, authoritative voice saying, "Call 911". I started to argue with the voice that I felt just fine. But before I could even get the thought out the voice said, "Call 911 NOW". I was by myself in the house when this happened. I don't remember picking up a phone. I don't remember the conversation with the 911 operator. I don't remember the ambulance responders. I don't remember the emergency room. NOTHING! And it's maddening; just like you said. Yet I remember clearly that strong voice! I guess when you hear a voice from heaven you don't forget it.

I've almost died three times in eight years, Sarah. And I never had any spiritual experiences (with the exception of the one mentioned above) with any of those medical crisis.

But I HAVE had four of the most incredible other worldly experiences while awake, aware and healthy. And those have had a profound effect on my life because I remember them. I've been visited by a dead friend, by an angel, by a spiritual being, and by God Himself. I treasure each of these unique spiritual experiences, and they have gotten me through some difficult times.

Here's a question that might put your longing to experience the living God into perspective. Would you rather have a spiritual experience during a time of altered concienceness such as during a coma, OR would you rather have a life-changing encounter with the heavenly realm while wide awake? Seriously! Perhaps God spared your life so you can now experience Him on a level that was never possible before your accident.

The spiritual encounters I've had while alert are SO powerful! Now that you are REALLY living in the moment you are more available for God to reveal Himself to you in a miraculous way. This can be a very exciting time in your life if you make yourself completely available to God. He loves you so much, and wants to be REAL to you. Just talk to the Lord, because He's listening. Tell him your frustrations, and your thoughts. He'll answer! And He'll answer in a way that is specific to who you are.

I'll never forget the night I was completely honest, and told God (IF He was real) that I was full of doubts about His existence. But I also told Him I would commit my life to Him if He was real, and proved it to me.
Then I went to bed and fell asleep.

The rest of my story is continued in the next comment because it was too long. I've also sent the complete comment to your Facebook page.

Unknown said...

Continued:

The next day started as every other Monday. I was going to community college in Troutdale, Oregon. I took the bus to get out there. On the bus ride a stranger began talking to me about Jesus. On campus, in the cafeteria line, students behind me, as well as the students in front of me, were talking about Jesus. This kind of thing happened all week long; at my school, at my job, and everywhere in between. It seemed like everyone I came into contact with would start talking about Jesus. This was a secular college, a city bus, a secular part time job at the county library. At that point I knew God was real, and that He was revealing Himself to me. He was clearly telling me the way I could have a relationship with Him was through His only Son, Jesus Christ.

A couple of days later I fell on my knees, and thanked God for answering my honest prayer even though I really didn't expect an answer. I hopped off the spiritual fence I'd been sitting on, and committed my life to God, to do with as He wanted. And God has been real to me ever since! That was almost 40 years ago.

I'd been in church all my life. But I'd never completely given my life to God. This was a huge turning point in my spiritual life. I'd just been going through the motions before with church attendance, baptism, taking communion, etc. But these actions were just superficial because I didn't have a real relationship with my Creator and Savior, Jesus. Jesus said, "I am the door; if anyone enters through me, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture." John 10:9

I can't tell you how God will reveal Himself to you if you ask Him to. But I can promise He will show Himself to you. Just be prepared to make a decision when He reveals Himself to you.

This is one of my favorite scriptures: "For I know the plans I have for you, 'declares the Lord', plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart." Jeremiah 29:11-13

Sharae said...

I know that the "unknown" is the hardest to comprehend and understand sometimes. Know that there is a reason. When the time is right, you will have an experience of your own. It may not be a huge experience. Sometimes the small simple experiences can be the most powerful experiences, just like the one April was telling you about. Everyone talked about Jesus, everywhere she went they talked about him. It will happen, it may even be a feeling you have. One thing we do have to do, is have the faith and desire to understand and the willingness to let those experiences happen. I love you!

KAOS_butterfly said...

I have never commented on here before and I don't know if you still check up on this blog. But I want to say that your blog has inspired me to go on and keep pushing even when life feels unlivable. I've wanted to kill myself since I was 14, I'm in my 20s now and things have not gotten better. It's a brain chemistry thing I suppose, because I can be surrounded by people I love who are all having a good time but all I will feel is emptiness. My days feel so worthless sometimes because of my inability to feel anything anymore. But after so many years of seeing other people who have had it much worse than me--and though we've not met or spoken, your blog has been particularly moving in that regard--who STILL manage to feel some trace of hope, some lingering gossamer of goodness, I realized that it's not fair for me to have been so blessed and still yet want to cop out and die. If after everything you've been through you can still manage to find hope inside you, then I have no excuse to not try and summon the same from within myself. And it's weird, lately all these people have been coming into my purview that have all been conveying more or less the same mesaage: hope, and holding onto life like a treasure. I don't believe this is by accident. The message has not fallen on deaf ears. And what you've left here, I know that if it has affected me in such a way then it has to have already done the same for others. You're an angel in human form if ever there was one and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for having left this account of your struggles and perserverence.