Tuesday, December 15, 2009

What Makes Us Feel Better?

I haven't written in awhile and I was sitting here listening to Jack and it inspired me to write about something. What are the things that help us get through the tough times in life?

For me, not a whole lot. But there are a couple things, for instance, listening to my boy Jack White, my favorite musician. His brilliance is beyond comprehension. When I feel bad or cranky or angry or crying, I often listen to him and I am soothed. Not unlike many years ago when I was going through the roughest time of my life up to that date back in the years of 2001-2005. During that time Jack was there for me. I could count on him always to make me feel better, especially because I had alienated all my friends for the love of someone else I had no friends to do the job. So I counted on Jack and he was there every time without fail.

Now I am going through what I most undoubtedly believe will be the hardest time in my life and Jack is still there. I have friends now to help me through this; good, good friends to give me a shoulder to cry upon or to provide distraction from my struggling life. But when I'm alone and feeling bad, I just listen to Jack and it's amazing how I can stop feeling the way I was feeling, or stop the torrential out pour of tears.

I can't go to my parents for consoling because I just feel as though I am burdening them further with my inner troubles. So I have to seek it elsewhere and where I seek it is with Jack and my dearest of friends, but usually firstly Jack because he is the most accessible to me in the moment.

So what is it that you seek when you are feeling bad, upset, wanting to cry, angry, conflicted, depressed? I am interested to know for how many people that consolidation is music because I think music is the food of our hearts and when we are feeling any or all those things above, they are damaging our hearts and we must feed them what they are craving to feel better. And I think that is music for a lot of us, especially people like me who have a favorite musician that has provided them comfort for many years. I have been a fan of Jack White for 9 years now and it's almost as if I know him (I wish I really did know him, let alone just to have met him). Him and his music have been my constant companion through thick and thin.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think music is a huge thing for most people. It gives us a way to retreat away from our problems in life. While I don't really have any specific groups/artists like you, I do escape with music. Music and lyrics have a way of expressing how we feel, or changing how we feel.