Friday, October 14, 2011

Graduate School?

The time is coming to think about graduate school.  You have to apply around April so now's the time to start looking around and figuring out what it is you want to do and what's important within that to pick the right school.  Well, I'm going to grad school for psychology.  For Forensic and Criminal Psychology to be more specific.  The hard thing though is finding a good grad school that I can start out with online because there's no way I'm going to be going anywhere next year.  I will still be involved in reconstructive surgery.  But I don't want to waste anymore time.  I will be 30 next year and I don't want to wait another year.

For those of you that don't know, my "back-up" career, if you will, is to work as a forensic and criminal psychologist in the BSU (It's actually called the Behavioral Science Unit unlike in Criminal Minds where they call it the BAU - Behavioral Analysis Unit) in the FBI.  I have done a lot of research on this and as a little girl I have always been interested in criminal profiling, analyzing crime scenes and evidence, etc. so this is not something inspired by the TV show Criminal Minds.  It is just the opposite actually.  I became interested in the show because of my already existing interest in what the show is about.  I do know that you have to go through some intensive physical training and pass a physical test to even get into the FBI and therein lies my challenge because of my limited mobility.  So I'm hoping that with this next surgery, there will be a lot of gain and no loss.  Because I don't want to go through what will be a difficult grad school process just to have a desk job in the FBI while I sit and envy those that are out in the field.  I'm not a desk job girl.  Those jobs kill me.  I don't last long.  And if I was to go this route, I don't want to flake out of the FBI, ya know?  Oh goodness, can you imagine Jack White being married to someone who works for the FBI?!! hahahaaa!!!  Hopefully I'll have my dream career but this is a back up and can you just imagine that pairing?!

So I'm looking into online schools and will talk to my favorite psych professor and friend up at EOU, Prof. Chip Ettinger.  He wants to help me out and he has a lot of experience with this.  Being in the Psi Chi is going to help a lot, too.  But maybe I won't even get to do this next year depending on where I'm at in my reconstruction.  God, this accident has put a major dent in EVERYTHING in my life!!!  I am so ANGRY!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome goal! If I were younger...I would be right there with you. That would be my dream job as well. Go for it!

LisaR

MSK said...

Reading this entry I suddenly was reminded of a quarterback for the Los Angeles Rams named Pat Haden who in the late 1970's was being interviewed on radio and was being criticized for not being quick,having a weak throwing arm and the most important thing they criticized was his lack of height for a quarterback in the NFL. And so I remember they were going on and on in this interview about how short he was and Pat Haden(a Rhodes scholar) interrupted and said to the interviewer..."you know what? I am pretty tall when I stand on my degrees." I will never ever forget how he shut up that interviewer who seemed to nit pic every part of this man and how Pat just left him speechless. (Pat was quite successful as the Rams quarterback in the mid to late 70's)
So when I read about whatever you may do with your future.. I just think of how "tall" you are with your intellect and your Bachelor of Science in Music and Psychology, cum laude! And yes cum laude is something to be VERY proud of!! So even with your excruciating physical recovery still going on in a major way.. Your intellect will always be with you and will take you to wherever you want to go!

Sarah Beth Watterson said...

LisaR - I didn't know you had that kind of interest! That's awesome! something for us to bond over sometime!
MSK - wow, what an amazing thing for that guy to say after being criticized like that. that's amazing how he shut them up with that. I love it. I'm going to have to remember that. Thank you for your wonderful compliments. I don't know how smart I really am but you gotta be pretty smart to get into the BAU in the FBI. We'll see...but I really appreciate the wonderful pep talk with that example and the wonderful compliments :)