Sunday, December 18, 2011

Knocking Down Obstacles

"Most people live life on the path we set for them.  Too afraid to explore any other.  But once in awhile, people like you come along and knock down all the obstacles we put in your way.  People who realize free will is a gift, you'll never know how to use until you fight for it.  I think that's the Chairman's real plan.  And maybe we won't write the plan.  You will."  ~from the movie The Adjustment Bureau

I watched that movie last night and thought it was slightly strange, it was actually very insightful at the end.  I find that an interesting concept about free will - that it is a gift and you'll never know how to use it until you fight for it.  That perhaps God (the Chairman in the movie) does have a plan for us all but we can write our own destiny's if we just know how to fight for it and explore it and knock down all obstacles that get in our way.  So what if my accident was part of God's plan as an obstacle for me to overcome and perhaps also as a part of his plan for me to touch more people's lives than I ever would have and a more powerful way than if I hadn't ever been injured.  Could my accident be an obstacle in the path God set out for me?  Or was me being an actress as I dreamed for not part of HIS plan that He had to lay down an obstacle in my path to set me right?  Or is it an obstacle simply to test my determination and courage to continue on with the plan I set out for my own destiny with my own free will?

This reminds me of one of the keynote/motivational speakers we had at the WBC.  He was the first one to speak.  He was a pilot and flew under Reagan and Bush when he crashed and was burned.  They told him he would never fly again.  Well, long story short, he did fly again and he ended up flying the SR-71, the fastest plane in the world still to this day, even though it's retired.  They kept trying to find excuses to not let him fly and he just wouldn't listen.  Now, when flyin the SR-71, you have to wear a special suit because you're flying so high and at extremely high G-speeds.  Well, after they exhausted all their excuses and reasons for him not to fly, he finally got to fly the SR-71 and it turns out that he could withstand more G's because his scar tissue acted like an additional flying suit.  And he flew again, when they told him he never would and when people were trying to find every excuse and reason in the book for him not to fly.  He knocked down every obstacle that was put in his path.  He wrote his own destiny and fought with his free will to do what he wanted, to have what he wanted.

Needless to say, he was the best keynote speaker and it was a great story that he told so well.  He makes the fight I know is inside me want to explode out of me and knock down every obstacle that has been put in front of me since my accident.  It's time for that fight I have inside me to get stronger and time for me to write my own destiny.  My accident is unique in that it's something that needs to be put away in my past but yet something I need to carry with me so that I never forget what I've been through because it shows the fight and courage I'm capable of.  It also shows myself and others that I'm not afraid to go after what I want and the strength I own to knock down any obstacles that get in my way.  I may be afraid and weak right now, but there's a lion inside me that knows no bounds when it comes to making my own destiny.

3 comments:

MSK said...

The last sentence you wrote struck me where you say " I may be afraid and weak right now, BUT THERE'S A LION INSIDE ME THAT KNOWS NO BOUNDS when it comes to making my own destiny.

You are right by saying that. I have seen a glimpse of you at the piano and using your voice.. You DO have a lion inside you!! Your talent knows knows no bounds. I wish I had such talents. You have them in bunches(with not only music but many other things) and it will take you far when you are ready!

Swannee said...

Just beautiful! I am learning to believe that the obstacles are here for a reason & even if we don't know the reason, it's okay. Also, I love the first part of the quote, talking about how most people are too afraid to explore other paths. How in a way, it's nice to be knocked down because then you have nothing to lose & life is so much more free. Thinking of you & sending you love.

Anonymous said...

WOW! And if they didn't let him fly they would never have know his scars would actually protect them. More proof that you must push the envelope to learn more. Thanks for sharing.
Bethany