Friday, August 13, 2010

How This Next Procedure Works

So I received an email from my reconstructive doctor (my main doctor) and finally found out how exactly this next procedure is going to work in two stages. Here is a copy of part of the email he sent so you can read his exact words of what he is going to do:

The way this works is in two stages. The first stage is a procedure that takes about 4 hours and is actually lifting the flap up carefully and thinning it out so it is not so bulky on your neck. I will then put the flap back down with a drain under it. I will keep you for a night or two so I can keep an eye on the flap and make sure it all lives without a problem. Then I will send you home for a few weeks. During this time the flap will grow bigger diameter blood vessels and be a healthier flap. When you come back in a few weeks we will lift the flap up again but this time we will also cut the blood vessels to the flap and reconnect them to the vessels in your neck and remove the scarred tissue and replace it with the thin flap of skin from your leg.

Sounds complicated eh? Also sounds very painful for me lol. Doctors are amazing, especially those that do reconstructive work like my dear Dr. Vangelisti. He also said in the email that he is really looking forward to doing this procedure and thinks it's really going to help. I sure hope he's right and I sure hope I get through both surgeries without any complications, as I am prone to have. But I have complete trust in Dr. V. I just don't trust my body to do what he wants lol.

so that's that. Now we all know exactly what's going on. I pray this works.


p.s. here is a pic of how the center of my neck looks now (pre-5th surgery, nasty scars) and then we'll see how it looks after!


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, this sounds complicated AND painful. But I'm glad you are looking forward to this, and have a positive attitude about the intended results. Thank you for including the "before" photo with this blog!

samantha mc ardle said...

I totally agree wit all the above u are amazing !!!!! It will be brill for u to know how much of a difference it will make to ur movement and self confidence there will be no stopping u den!!!!! :-) we r all routing for ya missy. Thanks for pic too xxxxxx