Friday, October 15, 2010

At Least 10 More Years

I had another doctor appointment yesterday in Portland for another expansion. But we talked a lot about future reconstruction plans and he really looked me over, the wheels turning in that brilliant surgical mind of his.

As you can probably see in the picture in my last post, I have some nasty bunch of scars underneath my chin. He suspects there is a contracture in those scars pulling my bottom lip. He has tried a graft twice on it and it just keeps pulling. The release on my neck should have released it but it didn't so he's suspects it is those scars underneath my chin. So he has decided to put in a tissue expander in the lower part of my neck to expand that and then advance it (pull and stretch it to where he wants to put it) up under my chin and around my mouth where I've developed some other nasty thick scars. Now hopefully by excising (cutting off) those scars under my chin and advancing the new expanded skin my lip should pop back into place finally. That is the theory. But boy is it going to suck having a tissue expander in my neck!!! The other problem with my mouth is my upper lip. It is being pulled inward helping to make my lower lip more pronounced but that is going to be an easy fix he said. He's just going to put fat injections in it and puff it out. Hey, you know something good might come out of all this...i just might get Angelina Jolie lips! LOL!!!

He also talked about, down the road, putting tissue expanders in the parts of my arms that aren't burned and then excising the scars on my arms and advancing the good unburned skin around so I will no longer have scars on my arms anymore! You know what that means? I'll be more confident in wearing short sleeves and tank tops AND most of all, BEING IN THE SUN AGAIN!!!

So on November 8th, Dr. McDreamy will be advancing the tissue expander I have expanded now in my right scapula around to release the contracture in the right side of my neck, doing a z-plasty on the left side of my neck, putting in a tissue expander in the front of my neck AND releasing the contractures in BOTH arms. Five different operations being done in on swoop. I am not going to be a happy camper with the pain. I'll be in the hospital for at least seven days again.

Doctor Vangelisti also kinda laid it down on me his projected time for how long I will be going through surgeries. I will be going through reconstruction for at least 10 more years. Yup, that means I'll be nearly 40 if not more than that and still going through reconstructive surgery. My jaw dropped inside my head. I can only hope that i'll be able to take care of myself at some point in that time frame to where I can get out on my own and live my own life again. As much as I love my parents and have immense appreciation for what they have sacrificed for me to take care of me, I will die if I'm still at home for all that time. 10 FUCKING YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It better all be worth it in the end. 10 YEARS!!!!!! I'm gonna go cry now....

1 comment:

Kayla Hopkins Reagan said...

Hi and good morning! My name is Kayla, and I was a year behine you in highschool. I seem to remember everyone, but i'm hardly remembered haha (was a bit of a dork). Anyway, three nights ago,my family and I were awakened by all our smoke alarms in our home. We rushed around getting our four kids and two dogs out of our house, and then put out what flames were in our living room. It was terrifying to say the least. I have an extreme respect for you and what you are going through. I thank the Lord for giving you strength, and for holding you when you don't. You are a wonderful example, and I thankyou for letting us experience what we can with you, through your blog. God bless you!