Saturday, November 7, 2009

Treasure those you can call "friend(s)"

Tonight I went out for the first time in 2 months since my last surgeries. This time I didn't have the horrible scars on my neck that I did last time so I was a little more confident. BUT I was still in the halo so I was still a little self-conscious about that but otherwise much better. There were 7 of us in total tonight and we began as many get togethers do: saying hello and doing a little catch-up. And then we started in on the games and some drinks. I tried my best to get into the rhythm of things but it was a little harder having not seen some of the people for a long time and meeting two new people who had to also meet the halo and the scars. I can imagine that was hard and awkward for them. I mean, it's hard for me to look at my own self in the mirror. But it was amazing to me how despite those two new women that I met for the first time how graceful they were in how they met me and treated me. It was with such grace that I honestly couldn't tell if they were faking it extremely well, or they truly were not bothered by it; that they just simply met a person who had been injured and as the night progressed just saw my personality. I would like to think the latter but it is hard for to accept that it could be anything more than the first. But I think tonight, it truly was the latter with those two girls who I met for the first time.

True, real friends are hard to come by. I know this by experience. I have had a troubled life since high school and through all these nearly 10 years I have found out who my real friends are and those friends I THOUGHT were my friends really weren't when the ice got thin. I have been hurt by many of those friends. As Ralph Waldo Emerson said, "Keep your friendships in repair." Well I feel as though many of my friendships have gone by the wayside due to some of the hard times in my life, which also brings me to another quote by Samuel Johnson, " If a man does not make a new acquaintance as he advances through life, he will soon find himself left alone. A man, Sir, should keep his friendship in constant repair." Well I feel as though those friends whom I have not mentioned and will keep anonymous have not kept our friendship in c
onstant repair.

People throw around the word "friend" too much. So many people have "acquantances" that they cannot differentiate from being a "friend." What is the definition of a friend? True friendship is perhaps the only relation that survives the trials and tribulations of time and remains unconditional. A unique blend of affection, loyalty, love, respect, trust and loads of fun is perhaps what describes the true meaning of friendship. Similar interests, mutual respect and strong attachment with each other are what friends share between each other. These are just the general traits of a friendship. To experience what is friendship, one must have true friends, who are indeed rare treasure. Friendship is a feeling of comfort and emotional safety with a person. It is when you do not have to weigh your thoughts and measure words, before keeping it forth before your friend. It is when someone knows you better than yourself and assures to be your side in every emotional crisis. It is when you can sleep fighting and get another morning with a better understanding. Friendship is much beyond roaming together and sharing good moments, it is when someone comes to rescue you from the worst phase of life. Friendship is eternal.

So I have met new acquaintances and it is these new acquaintances that I have found the true meaning of what a real friend is. Since my accident I have met new friends and it is these new friends of mine that I call my true, real, dearest, best friends. Sure, I have a few friends from my past, such as high school, that I can still call as such but they are few and far between. But for those that I have been friends with for more than decade and are still here for me, I love them truly for still being here. As Samuel Johnson also said, "True happiness consists not in the multitude of friends, but in their worth and choice." This is a quote I often think about when I get lonely for friends and think about all the friends I used to have and who I have now. And it makes me want to grieve for those friends, which I do, but as Samuel said, my true happiness lies in the worth and choice of friends I have now. And this helps me to dry my eyes :)


Since my accident, I have found those new friends: Clay and Jen Andrew in most particular. And since my accident for those who have TRULY been there, those friends I have known before the accident: Jocelyn Berado, Sam and Jamie Jacobson, Joe Garoutte, Michael Koopman, Emily Nash Gray, Becca Mielke, Jess Zukin, Craig McIntosh, Heidi Larson, Jodi McManus, Joe Goodavage, my manager who has always believed in me, and many of the people that work with my parents who have supported not only me, but them as well. I would also like to give a very special thanks to everyone at the La Grande Methodist Church. I couldn't thank you more for what you have done for my family and for all your prayers. These people, these friends, have shown truth to Aristotle's words: "Misfortune shows those who are not really friends," for these people I have mentioned have been my friends despite my misfortune. Thank you, to all of you. I love you with my soul.


And as for tonight, I had a great time and it boosts my confidence every time I go out so it is good for me. But it is with these particular friends that I see that I must part with you a quote from Edward Everett Hale, "The making of friends, who are REAL friends, is the best token we have of a man's success in life." I hope to have the kind of success that Hale speaks of. I've just got to keep them in "constant repair."

No comments: