Thursday, February 24, 2011

A Feel Good Babysitting Job

I have been asked by two dear friends of mine to watch their three darling kids from time to time when needed. I hesitated at first, wondering if I could do this. I asked them why they asked me and the husband told me that they are very careful with who they ask to be around and babysit their kids and I came to mind, along with a couple others but they did ask me and that made me very happy to hear that I am trusted with their most precious kids. So I told them I would help in any way I could and whenever I could. I have so far babysat their kids twice, but last night was the best.

We watched Mary Poppins (I read my book during the movie every once in awhile) and then towards the end of the movie Aiden, the youngest, wanted me to help him read so Aiden and I embarked on a reading lesson while Morgan and Riley continued to watch the movie, wrestling each other every once in awhile (I had to interject once in awhile to make sure they weren't going to hurt each other or knock over Morgan's cereal that she was trying to eat). Bedtime rolled around so I assumed my authoritative role and got them all to brush their teeth and got Morgan to bed. Then I went with Aiden to his bedroom to get him into bed but he had a book he wanted me to read to him. Now I haven't babysat in a long time so I was a little nervous about reading the book right, ya know, like doing voices and things. So I did my best and he seemed to enjoy it very much so that made me very happy. You know what Aiden said to me earlier in the night though? He is such a sweet little boy and perhaps much too young to understand what exactly happened to me but he seems to because his parents are very good parents and they prepared him to see me when I first ever came over there. Anyway, my point is, at some point earlier in the evening, Aiden said, "Sarah, you look really good. Before you had like fire marks on your cheeks but now you can't see them." Oh sweet Aiden. I of course was wearing make-up but it made me feel good nonetheless that someone so young would make such a nice complement about something that may be hard to understand.

While I was down with Aiden, Kristen and Jon (mom and dad) came home and I didn't realize it until I came up from downstairs. Morgan had also picked out a book to be read to her before she put her head on the pillow to go to sleep and Kristen volunteered to read it to her but she told her mom that she wanted ME to read it to her! Awww!!! My heart melted! So I read Morgan a book and put her bed when I was done. I kissed all the kids goodnight and said goodbye.

Kristen and Jon said that they (the kids) really looked forward to me coming over to babysit them and that just truly made me so happy that these great kids looked forward to seeing ME, to have ME come over to babysit them. Let's just say it pumped up my ever so low ego a little bit, which is good for me because I don't think very well of myself as you well know. These kids mean so much to me. It's almost as if they are good for my emotional health. And I really need that right now. They make me smile and laugh in a way that makes me feel like I'm doing some kind of good for my life, like I'm helping not only myself but helping others. Of course those "others" I speak of are a small few, just the Larkin family but that family means so much to me. I don't know how to explain it. I feel like what I'm saying isn't making any sense. All I can say is, babysitting those kids for my two dear friends feels good.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations! You've discovered Mother Teresa's recommendation for personal pain; SERVE OTHERS. I've read several books by and about this woman of God. She inspires me to turn my focus on others. Its so good to hear a little joy in your personal blog. :-) God is watching over you, Sarah!

Anonymous said...

This babysitting post needs to go into the Fabulous SB journal. What a great post, thanks for sharing it.