Saturday, February 5, 2011

White Stripes Break Up


I must address something that has torn me apart since the news cast a shadow over my life on Wednesday. Yes, yes, you all know what I'm talking about - The White Stripes break-up. I feel like I must shed some light on what their music did for my life.

The White Stripes and their music, and well, particularly Jack White, have been a constant in my life. The White Stripes were formed in 1997 in Detroit. I did not come upon the White Stripe scene until 2000 when they released their second album, De Stijl. Needless to say I fell IN LOVE!! Jack's incredibly unique sound on the guitar a
nd his voice, oh that voice! I couldn't get enough of it or Jack baby for that matter :) Before the White Stripes came into my life, I was mostly into pop and R&B music but the stripes changed all that. I slowly became an alternative-rock super fan.

And then my life was shattered by an incident which I shall choose not to talk about because it is too embarrassing and painful. My life was so perfect before this incident (which many of you know about) and it just rocked my world...in a very bad way. I lost many friends due to this incident but who was still there? My music. And that music was the White Stripes. The music that Jack made. He didn't leave me. He didn't judge me. And
I know that sounds silly because he didn't know me, but Jack and his music was a huge part of my life that it felt as if he did know me and I knew him. I know that must sound crazy. I don't know how to make it NOT sound crazy. But I began to identify with Jack and his music because I listened to it everyday, every moment I could!

My life hasn't exactly gone down the easiest of roads. In fact, it's been quite bumpy and rough since that incident in 2001. But I'll tell you something, the music of the White Stripes, the music of my boy Jack, was always a constant in my life no matter how great and wonderful or bumpy and rough at the moment my life was. People came in and out of my life depending on what was going on in my life at the moment so it was easy to
say I didn't REALLY have friends, just drinking buddies and co-worker friends. I also had an incredibly emotionally abusive and cheating boyfriend. But who was always there? Jack and his wonderful music. He got me through everything.

Now I know you must be thinking, "this girl is CRAZY!" But have you ever felt so inspired, so emotional over a band and their music? Well, this was the band that did that for me. And on Wednesday, February 2nd, 2011 after being together since 1997 and releasing their first album in 1999, they announced their official dissolution of the band denying any artistic differences but stating their break-up for a "myriad of reasons...mostly to preserve what is beautiful and special about the band."

OH AGONY!!! The music that got me through every moment in my life, through my darkest of days and particularly the worst incident of my life when I got burned is now done. I would listen to Jack's music before every surgery to calm me. Now I know Jack's got two other bands so I'll still hear his music but I will miss you White Stripes. I will miss how unique you were and I thank you for getting me through my life, the good and the bad. I will miss your wonderful style in the White Stripes Jack. I will cherish the music you gave us. Thank you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I get it. I had the same experience with Green Day. They got me through chemo and cancer surgery. Heard Boulevard of Broken Dreams and that was all she wrote. I guess you could say I was feeling a tad alienated from society. Love the Stripes too, Jack White = Rock God.